Carol Dweck, synthesized in her remarkably insightful book, Mindset: The New Psychology of Success — an inquiry into the power of our beliefs, both conscious and unconscious, and how changing even the simplest of them can have profound impact on nearly every aspect of our lives.
Dweck reveals in her research that the “fixed mindset” is the attitude or belief that we are born with a certain skill set, aptitude, intelligence, or talent and that we can’t really do much to change or cultivate it. This keeps us from realizing our true potential because we fear failure and truly don’t believe in ourselves. A growth mindset, on the other hand, believes that through effort, perseverance, grit, and determination one can cultivate and improve many of their skills, amplitudes, and intelligence.
Mindsets begin at a very young age and they develop certain beliefs about ourselves or create internalized stories that prevent us from being uncomfortable, being willing to stretch and grow ourselves so we can truly find the hidden gems inside of ourselves and step into our bigness.
In this episode of the She Finds Joy podcast, learn:
- How a fixed mindset limits your success.
- How to foster a growth mindset to unlock your potential.
- The brain is malleable and can grow and change.
- Why you’re underestimating your ability and it’s causing “stuckness.”
- Your thoughts are the driving force of your beliefs.
- Your beliefs become your actions, and then your habits.
- Why you must embrace effort, perseverance, determination, and uncomfortableness to grow.
" The view you adopt for yourself profoundly affects the way you lead your life." -Carol Dweck
Kim Strobel is Chief Happiness Officer at Kim Strobel Live Events and Retreats. She is a teacher, consultant, motivational speaker, happiness coach, and a mission-minded person whose passion is helping others overcome their fears and discover their joy!
Love this episode and want to continue the conversation with me and other like minded individuals? Join the free private, She Finds Joy Facebook community.