5 Ways to Create Your Own Happiness
Your happiness is YOUR responsibility. I know that sounds like tough love. But it’s really just a gentle reminder that happiness is within each individual’s control. Isn’t that good news?
So … how do you create your own happiness?
Here are five scientific strategies, gleaned from extensive studies by happiness researcher Shawn Achor (goodthinkink.com), that are proven to increase your happiness level:
- Practice Gratitude. Write down (yes, you need to write it!) three NEW things you are grateful for each day. I keep a gratitude journal, and make my list each night before bed. This simple activity trains my brain to constantly scan my environment and notice everything that is good in it.
- Exercise. Engage in just 15 minutes of a cardio activity for a release of endorphins in your brain that will trigger a happy feeling.
- Meditate. Start with two minutes per day. Simply sit and listen to your breath go in and out. Don’t worry if your mind is thinking about other things. Just do it!
- Random Acts of Kindness. Write a positive email or send a little note to let someone know they’re appreciated, compliment a friend, carry someone’s groceries, hold a door open for the person behind you. You’ll soon see just how much more gratifying it is to give than to receive.
- Journal. Spend two minutes a day writing about a positive experience. (Confession: I don’t do this one … yet.)
I bet you feel happier already! Now go out and share your smile with someone else. You’ll be so happy you did.
PSST! I have some exciting news to share: I’m in the process of creating my first ever Happiness Retreat! And I want you to be among the first to join me on an adventure of learning how to live a more fulfilled, vibrant, happy life.
Full deets will come later, so stay tuned!